Monday, November 17, 2008

Tom's email about his health and this blog (for those who didn't receive it)

I am trying to stay positive. I have been so busy getting my sub plans ready, gigs covered, and other stuff that I have not had too much time to worry, so that is good. I am a huge fan of Victor Frankel and his book “Man's Search for Meaning.” One of the three reasons he sights for people who survived the death camps included their reaction to inevitable suffering. Those who found a way to be positive, to find a will to live, a reason to live, were the ones who made it - basically 1 out of 30. Now I get a chance to practice my reaction to inevitable suffering. I am leaning to the positive, trying to see things as the glass is half full. I am feeling like I am going to lick this one.

One of my friends sent me a message. His tuba teacher in college had the same surgery I am going to have where they removed a section of his colon. He was a brass player, he stated: "They just removed several inches of my colon. So, I guess I will be farting sharp the rest of my life."
Thanks for the well wishes and prayers.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Hi Uncle Tom and Aunt Tiiu,
Thanks for creating this blog to keep us up to date. Good luck tomorrow, Uncle Tom, I think you have a wonderful outlook! You're in my prayers, Csaba sends his best as well.
Love, Theresa

Henry said...

Tom, Tiiu, Liia, Gusten, and Kalev..
You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Everything that I have read sounds very positive! My college roomate had the same operation two years ago and is doing great!
Henry Pearlberg