Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Info from Wednesday

There is wireless internet service in DCMH. There is wireless in the main tower. There is wireless on the fifth floor. There is wireless at the 5th floor nurses' station. There is wireless in Tom's dad's room, but there is NO wireless in Tom's room. Maybe God is sending him a message. Anyway, the lack of wireless is why this post is so delayed.

Saw Dr. Silver this morning. Tom is now allowed to eat ice chips and lozenges, but no liquids or foods yet. He still had his nose tube. Bob checked out, and someone moved in tonight, I think. Dr. Silver said he removed about 10 inches of Tom's colon. He got the entire tumor which was a couple of centimeters diameter, and also removed another thickening nearby. He removed the cyst on Tom's liver, and his liver looks completely clean. Tom's left leg has been completely numb since he came down because his epidural is dripping that way, so today Tom stopped pumping his pain meds to try to get his leg to thaw so he can walk. He is now almost 24 hours behind Brad Shoener's walking after 4 hours routine. He had a somewhat lame nurse today who wouldn't help him get up, said he has too many tubes, but his night nurse Vicky is amazing and she will help him tomorrow for sure. She looks like a black Jessica Rabbit. She is terrific.

He's very happy with everyone dropping by adn leaving posts. I go to the nurses' station when I'm there and open all the web pages to show the content and your wonderful comments. Thanks for your support. Keep those calls adn letters coming!!!

2 comments:

John Dunphy said...

Removed 10 inches!!! That makes you a semi-colon, my friend. Gives you a new appreciation of grammar.

I thought I could make it over to see you yesterday, but i had a bear of a day, capped off by a B-ball game last night. My 10pm dinner hour routine is getting old......but so am I.

The "Rudolph Blog" is replacing Oprah for many, I am told. Today was the tale of the tube, the Harvey-like nurse who will get Tom out of bed, the Divine Intervention (I told you so) that keeps Tom off-line. I wonder who writes this script. However, the star of the show keeps getting better and will soon be out among the walking wounded. Keep on keeping on.

It was good to talk to you yesterday. It was like old times except I didn't hang up with 10 action items to do. We need to talk more. I don't need any more "Action Items".

Thanks for the blog updates, Mrs. Blogmeister. I look for it even before I read my morning Email. Speaking of which, I hope you are also holding up under this, as we used to say during the Civil War, "recent unpleasantness". Caregivers also need some support, especially those taking care of impossible people. I'll light a candle for you, too.

jd

Unknown said...

Tom,
So glad to hear you're doing well. And yes, if everyone else has email and you don't, it appears God is sending you a message - SLOW DOWN!!!! Hope your recovery continues to go well. Be good and listen to Tiuu!!
Debbie Doll